[U-Boot-Users] What the right procedure should be when write a new driver for U-boot?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 5 18:01:47 CEST 2006

In message <1158829226.8962.35.camel at localhost> you wrote:

> When I read U-boot's code, I found the devices initialize function
> devices_init() (called in /u-boot-x.x.x/lib_xxx/board.c), It creates a
> device list, then dev_xxx_init() register the devices such as LCD, USB,
> Serial, Keyboard in the list.

The "devices" list is  what  can  be  used  for  assignement  to  the
standard  I/O  "devices"  (i.  e.  the  stdin, stdout and stderr data
streams).

> But, some SOC have their own drivers, for example s3c24x0 have their own
> driver of USB, Serial,(/cpu/arm920t/s3c24x0/usb_ohci.c) they don't care
> about the device list, they do it their way.

Some devices like serial or LCD may be used for standard I/O streams,
others (like USB or network may not.

> Is there any 'official' policy on it?

Yes - see above.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"In matrimony, to hesitate is sometimes to be saved."        - Butler