[U-Boot-Users] Added a custodian status page to denx.de/UBoot

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Thu Apr 5 16:31:59 CEST 2007

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <000201c7776d$fde43300$821ba8c0 at Emea.Arm.com> you wrote:
>>
>> 	Now I believe I can push branches to the u-boot-arm repo
>
> Yes, you can do that.
>
>> (I was reading gu-arm as git-arm - I should use bigger fonts.....)
>
> The "gu" prefix is just our internal market that the user ID is for a
> "[g]it [U]-Boot" repository.
>
>> I was hoping to push each patch that I approved up to the u-boot-arm as a
>> branch,
>> for others to test.
>
> I'm not sure if this is actually a good idea. It may quickly create a
> mess of branches.
>
>> Then I would ask you to merge from it when testing was complete.
>
> Please don;t. I want *you* to perform the merging, and when this  was
> successful,  to  send  me a pull request. This way, I can always pull
> from your master branch and don;t have to care if there are  hundrets
> of branches in your tree and what is for what.
>
>> Then I would delete that branch when merged.....
>
> You cannot delete anything in a git repository. Onc created, i remains
> there forever.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

I have not looked in the repository to see what it actually does, but
"git branch -d" deletes merged branches (it refuses to delete unmerged
branches) and "git branch -D" deletes unmerged branches.  I presume this
does not leave much detritus.

If we use branches:
1) Primarily used in the custodian trees:
    a) Useful for keeping track of work in progress
    b) Specifies what Wolfgang needs to pull into the mainline
2) Must be kept clean - delete ones no longer useful
3) VERIFY/merge with the mainline BEFORE requesting a pull.  If Wolfgang
      finds a pull requires a merge, YOU HAVE FAILED as a custodian (or
      u-boot's world has shifted under your feet - probably the latter;-)

I see 1b) as being very important.  Wolfgang has been VERY responsive
for pull requests (THANKS!) compared to the pre-custodian days.  If it
takes more than a few days to pull a set of changes into the mainline,
branches are the only practical way to keep track of what is pending.
Trying to say "pull from 7cd5da0fe877e7171a4cdd44880bce783132871a to
aea03c4e8c3a21ce43d3faf48a6e6d474c8bdf73" is NASTY (OK, that was a bit
of a paper tiger).

On the Custodian page
<http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/UBoot/CustodianGitTrees#Pulling_changes_from_the_master>
I took a crack at the process to do (3) - I don't believe my recipe is
correct yet.  Maybe I'll get the right recipe on my next change or maybe
a git wizard will update it.  (I think the best approach is to create a
temporary merge branch in your local repo, pull the latest "master" into
it, pull your "to-be-pulled" branch into it, resolve any problems, and
then delete the temp merge branch.)

gvb