[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for patch to configure networkparameters

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Apr 22 12:30:53 CEST 2007

In message <000b01c7849f$f2050430$01c4af0a at Glamdring> you wrote:

> I want the configuration to be done without serial port communication
> Connect to Ethernet, wait for LED to blink, next board....

This is a perfectly valid requirement. It pops up with  many  vendors
who  use U-Boot on their boards. Many actually use this in production
today.

Some read data from a special flash area, others run a script  stored
in  flash.  Some  leave this script in the flash after production and
eventually use it for example to implement reset to factory defaults,
others  erase  or  overwrite  it  or  use  self-deleting  environment
variables for a run-once setup.

> According to Wolfgang, this promotes other people's evil doings
> and you must select a non-efficient solution if you want to use main tree
> u-boot.

I agree with you that  the  way  how  U-Boot  gets  configured  needs
improvement,  but  instead  of implementing some "backdoor" to inject
configuration information from a tool that lives outside  the  U-Boot
tree we should try and improve the U-Boot code.

You are welcome to contribute  to  this,  but  please  let's  discuss
design  and implementations first, before submitting patches that may
lead to discussions that are frustrating for both sides.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure.