[U-Boot-Users] Proposal for a make option to include an additional stand alone program directory

Jeff Mann MannJ at embeddedplanet.com
Thu Apr 26 21:13:03 CEST 2007

> > I want to add a featue to the makefile configuration so that a user
> > can compile u-boot including a directory that gets compiled
> as a stand
> > alone program. I propose that users can enter a directory when
> > configuring the board, for example
> >

> I like this idea, but can't you already do this in the
> Makefile, but just adding stuff to the rule for BOARD_config?

Yes, but the point of this in my case is that I compile a diagnostic
utility used to test boards at our office. It does not get shipped with
the board and so having a config rule just for these types of things
just clutters the makefile. It would be a better solution for us and our
customers if we could just copy an additional folder into the u-boot
directory and add it to the list of compiled subdirectories when using
the BOARD_config rule.It is also possible to use the command:

make BOARD_config SA=../my_stand_alone_prog_dir

To compile a stand alone program in the parent directory of u-boot.
(which is how I use it to compile my doagnostic tools with u-boot.)

> For the MPC8349E-mITX, Freescale's BSP ships with a
> closed-source binary firmware for the 5-port Ethernet switch.
>  It would be great if the denx.de version of U-Boot could
> automatically add support for this binary if it existed in
> the development tree.  The idea would be that u-boot.bin
> would include this binary.

So you comile both at once? That is soft of what I am going for, but I
compile u-boot stand-alone-programs like the ones in the examples
folder.

-Jeffrey