[U-Boot-Users] TI DaVinci merge, was: uboot custodian question

ksi at koi8.net ksi at koi8.net
Fri Aug 3 23:00:41 CEST 2007

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.4.64ksi.0708031052420.23796 at home-gw.koi8.net> you
> wrote:
>>
>> Sure. But it is not possible because if I had a new patchset posted it
> will
>> get outdated again because I doubt it would be processed in less than
> 6
>> months or so. So let's get _something_ in first than I'll be able to
> clean
>> it up.
>
> U-Boot development process has changed significantly in hte last  few
> months.  But to work quick and easy it requires that you adapt to the
> methods and tools used in this process.
>
>>> - There are some #if 0 and #if 1 throughout the code. I think Peter
>>> would
>>> like to see this fixed.
>>
>> I will. But let's get something in first. Otherwise it won't get in
> ever.
>> That only has 2 typedefs for register and pointer to register. Yes, I
> can
>> get rid of those but that would be just cosmetic. Again, let's get
> something
>> in then I'll fix cosmetics.
>
> It seems you misunderstand how this patch review process  works.  You
> are  supposed  to  fix  your  patches  according  to the feedback you
> receive, and then resubmit the cleaned up patches, until they can  be
> merged  cleanly.  We  don't  want  to  add code that is known to need
> fixing, even if somebody promises to clean up later.
>
> Please clean up now and resubmit.

Clean up WHAT? Man, I'm on the verge now...

The problem is there were _ABSOLUTELY NO_ feedback, just silence. I _WOULD_
clean up or fix anything but there was _ABSOLUTELY NO_ , repeat _ABSOLUTELY
NO_ feedback on that submission !!! I've just got "your patches are added to
the queue" from Peter and that's all.

What feedback?! Who is reviewing those patches? It looks like you guys are
desperately trying to find an excuse to NOT accept anything no matter how
laughable that excuse is, pardon my French.

Have I refused to clean up or fix the code? Should one develop a sixth sense
and anticipate what would you think 6 months from now? How can one submit
patches against _CURRENT_ version reflecting ever changing party line if
those patches are sitting dormant for 3+ months? They _WERE_ current as of
the time of posting. What sense does it make to redo them from today's
version if they would sit in the queue for another half year and then again
declared not current enough?

I'm fed up with that nonsense. And I have much better use for my time, my
prototype boards just came in so I have to grab my soldering iron and scope
and make them work. I have neither time nor will to fight with windmills any
more. You won, I accept my defeat.

---