[U-Boot-Users] CONFIG_PCI_PNP question

Swarthout Edward L-SWARTHOU ed.swarthout at freescale.com
Thu Aug 23 00:34:09 CEST 2007

From: robert lazarski

> Hi all, I'm coding for my custom 8548 board that should be in
> my hands any day now, using mpc8548cds as a reference. I
> notice that while the cds boards pci_init_board() is a few
> hundred lines long, some boards like the tqm85xx just wrap
> the function around pci_mpc85xx_init(&hose).

cpu/mpc85xx/pci.c::pci_mpc85xx_init() is obsolete.

It was split into two pieces.  The board specific setup was moved to
board/YOURBOARD.c, and the common pci/pcie code needed to prepare
for calling the generic pci_hose_scan() is in drivers/fsl_pci_init.c.

See board/cds/mpc8548cds.c in git head.

> The cds board does seem to have a lot of special case features.

Discard all the pci_mpc85xxcds_config_table stuff...

> My question is, does it make sense to try pci plug-and-play
> first and then think about something more complex like the
> cds pci_init_board() ? A lot of boards seem to be using PNP.

Agreed.  See the latest board/freescale/mpc8544ds/mpc8544ds.c
for a clean example which initializes multiple controllers including
PCIe.

-EdS