[U-Boot-Users] Changes to U-Boot Development Process

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Feb 8 01:52:10 CET 2007

Hello,

it is more than time for a summary of the reactions to  our  proposal
to  split the U-Boot development into several subsystems and to share
the responsibility for these in a  group  of  "custodians".  Here  it
comes:

1) The reaction was all positive. So we will take the next steps in
   that direction.

2) There was a general agreement that it would be beneficial to  have
   all  the  custodian's  (public)  repositories  located on the same
   server, so we willdo that. If nobody objects, we will host this on
   www.denx.de

   We intend to name these repositories after their function (rather,
   for example, after the name of the custodian), so we don't have to
   modify  anything  in  case  there  should  be  a  change  of   the
   custodians.

3) It was no problem to find custodians for all suggested areas.
   Thanks a lot to all of you who volunteered!

You can find an overview about the current situation at
http://www.denx.de/wiki/UBoot/Custodians

This also includes the suggested names for the git repositories.
Please feel free to comment.

To avoid conflicts, I would like to establish a strict match  between
a  repository and a custodian, i. e. each of the git repositories can
be pushed into by exactly one custodian. As you can see,  we  already
have  mostly such matches, only for MIPS we have three instead of one
volunteer.

It's really great to receive so much voluntary help, but in  the  end
we  can  have  only  one  custodian  for  MIPS. However, for me it is
impossible to decide who to chose of Robert, Rodolfo or Hans. Can you
please try to sort this out among the three of you,  eventually  with
feedback from the list?

Custodians: can each of you please send me your public SSH  keys?  We
will  then  set up the git repositories so we can get the whole thing
rocking ASAP... [If you don't want to send it by e-mail, you can also
use jabber: wd at jabber.denx.de].

Thanks in advance,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
                                                   -- Albert Einstein