[U-Boot-Users] cpu_init.c: qe_config_ioports not being called?

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Wed Jan 10 20:09:11 CET 2007

Russell McGuire wrote:

> I placed some printf()’s in the function to see if it was getting
> called, and no printouts.

That's because cpu_init_f() is called before the serial port is enabled.

> So my question is, why isn’t the ‘config_qe_ioports()’ getting called
> inside the mpc83xx/cpu_init_f.
>
> Is perhaps cpu_init_f() not getting called? Stumped here…

Just FYI, here's a trick to make sure the compiler is thinking the same thing
you are:

Modify cpu_init_f() like this:

#ifdef CONFIG_QE
asdlfhasdfkjlhgasdfiuge
	/* Config QE ioports */
	config_qe_ioports();
#endif

The compiler will generate a syntax error on the garbage characters you insert,
if it compiles that code.  If U-Boot builds fine, then you know that CONFIG_QE
is not defined at that point in the code, or cpu_init.c is not being compiled at
all.

> U-boot seems to work fine otherwise, it boots completely into RAM and
> relocates, etc… I can use the md command and query the ioports and see
> the settings are not taking effect.

cpu_init_r() has further QE initialization, and printfs work in that function.
Check to see if it is being called.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale