[U-Boot-Users] Changes to U-Boot Development Process

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu Jan 18 22:20:27 CET 2007

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Nevertheless, I see actually no reason to change the  size  limit.  I
> haven't  seen  any  many  board/ directories that exceed 40..50 kB in
> size, and if you compress the patch than the size  limit  should  not
> affect you.

Well, compressing makes it difficult to read inside an email.  I think patches
shouldn't be compressed.

However, I don't know why you would say that adding a new board should be under
40KB.  Adding a new board typically requires two files: a header file in
include/configs/, and a .c file in board/xxx/.  The .c file is actually
accompanied by a config file, a Makefile, an lds file, and maybe some other .c
files.

The sum total of all these files is usually more than 40KB.  I think what you're
suggesting is that the patch be divided into two patches: one that contains the
header file, and the other that contains the rest, but that doesn't make sense.
  All of these files belong together as a single commit, because U-Boot can't be
compiled without all of them together.

I think the 40KB limit should be increased to 100KB.  That's enough to support
all files for an entire board.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale