[U-Boot-Users] Changes to U-Boot Development Process

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 18 22:40:47 CET 2007

In message <45AFE49B.8080909 at freescale.com> you wrote:

> However, I don't know why you would say that adding a new board should be under
> 40KB.  Adding a new board typically requires two files: a header file in
> include/configs/, and a .c file in board/xxx/.  The .c file is actually
> accompanied by a config file, a Makefile, an lds file, and maybe some other .c
> files.

Right.

> The sum total of all these files is usually more than 40KB.  I think what you're

Just run a check like "du -sh board/*" - most board directories  take
20...50  kB,  plus  - say - 8...15 kB for the board config file. This
fits easily in the 40 kB limit if compressed.

And, let's face it, adding new boards is the exception. Count how many
patches have been submitted so far, and how many boards we support.
It's a completely insignificant fraction. I don't think it would be a
good idea to fix the limits to suite such exceptions. These can be
compressed.

And if a normal patch, uncompressed, exceeds the 40 kB limit, then it
should be probably be split  up  because  it's  too  big  for  review
anyway.

> suggesting is that the patch be divided into two patches: one that contains the
> header file, and the other that contains the rest, but that doesn't make sense.
>   All of these files belong together as a single commit, because U-Boot can't be
> compiled without all of them together.

Agreed.

> I think the 40KB limit should be increased to 100KB.  That's enough to support
> all files for an entire board.

I still disagree. Believe me, the 40 kB size has never  been  a  real
problem  for regular patch submissions so far. The cases where it hit
where usually when the poster did not follow the rules, and I want to
keep such a built-in filter function.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The optimum committee has no members.
                                                   - Norman Augustine