[U-Boot-Users] U-boot refactoring

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 3 23:04:18 CEST 2007

Dear Grant,

in message <fa686aa40707031148x4e5508ebgac2268741ee98b2e at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> Between Jon's CFG->CONFIG changes, Sascha's u2boot effort, and the
> duplicate file cleanup that I've been hacking on, there are a fair
> number of invasive changes going in to u-boot.
>
> Also, at OLS this year we talked a bit about formalizing the u-boot
> release procedure and maybe using a merge window and a stabilization
> period.
>
> So, my question is this; with all the changes being talked about on
> the list; what order/schedule should be used for bringing these
> changes into mainline?  I think we should decide which pieces should
> go in first, and plan to stagger them so there is time to recover from
> each invasive change.  Thoughts?  I also think that Jon's CONFIG_
> changes should probably be merged first, and as soon as possible.

I still have to revocer from the pile of work that stacked up during
OLS, but I already managed to merge u-boot-testing today.

My plan is:

1) Create a branch and a custodian repo for U-Boot 2.x (note that I
   dislike both the names "U-Boot-NG" and "U2Boot"; not to mention
   legal issues when using branded names like "U2").

2) Come up with a description of design criteria  for  U-Boot  -  for
   both the old and the new one.

3) Officially announce the release cycle thingy.

4) Pull Jon's "cmdcfg" patch series into testing.

5) Pull Grant's relocation patch series into testing.

6) Pull as many "trivial" patches into testing as I manage to do.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Pain is a thing of the mind.  The mind can be controlled.
	-- Spock, "Operation -- Annihilate!" stardate 3287.2