[U-Boot-Users] U-Boot-NG ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 4 15:58:19 CEST 2007

In message <200707041356.32051.sr at denx.de> you wrote:

> I'm still a little undecided, if a "simple" output mechanism is enough. Of
> course you can life with a hardwired baudrate on most systems, so that you
> don't have to read the environment. But there will be some systems where the
> user configured a different baudrate and the outputs from the DDR2 init
> routine will not be readable.
>
> But you are right: Making this step hardcoded makes the overall design much
> more simple. So that would be a "Good Thing" (TM).

This is a pretty important point. We've come a long way in U-Boot  to
make  it such flexible and configurable - note: run-time configurable
by the user. Many of us have too many times before been p*ssed off by
some stupid loader which was hardwaired to 115 kbps when you just had
an old terminal server or modem that maxed out at 38 kbps,  etc.  The
flexibility  that  is  built  into  current  U-Boot may be one of the
causes for it's complexity, but it is also a very strong point.

Instead  of  simply  throwing  such  things  over  board  I  ask  for
constructive discussion how to adapt them to a new, better design.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Out of register space (ugh)"
- vi