[U-Boot-Users] Compile mpc8260 in u-boot

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Thu Jul 19 15:46:47 CEST 2007

xyyiezi wrote:
> Dear sir:
>
>        I'll compile the u-boot and I will configure it to mpc8260ads.But
> I use the command "$make distclean",then I put in "$make
> MPC8260ADS_config".It displayed "No rule to make target
> "MPC8260ADS_config".stop" after I had entered.The u-boot I used is the
> version u-boot 1.1.4,and the GNU compiling tools was DELK4.0.The GNU
> path is localhome/sm8260/eldk,and the path to u-boot is
> localhome/sm8260/SVT/sm8260/SWDV/u-boot.I had compile it uder eldk.
>      I had modefied the makefile before I compiled it.First,I modefied
> it to "cross_compile=ppc_6xx" in red hat linux.I compiled it and I
> failed.It diaplay "No rule to make target
> "MPC8260ADS_config".stop".Secondly,I modefied it to
> "powerpc-linux-mpc8260",and the same thing was happend.
>      I don't kown what the matter is.And I hope to earn your help.
>      Thank you very much!
>
>                                                       Yours xyyiezi

Dear xyyiezi,

Off topic:
----------
* Please send in plain text, not HTML.
* My company has blackballed 163.com due to malicious content on that
site so I cannot reply to you directly.  You might consider using a
different email service (gmail, for instance).

On topic:
---------
I'm guessing you don't have your PATH set up correctly.  You should
export a symbol for your cross compiler location and prefix rather than
modifying the makefile.  The following is what I use:

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/eldk/usr/bin/
export CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-
export ARCH=ppc

After doing this, make will invoke the proper cross compiler.  Obviously,
1) Your configuration may be different
2) If you put the above in a script file, you must use the bash command
"source" to run it in your current shell.  If you type the script file
at the command line, it will run in a spawned shell and the exported
symbols will be gone when the spawned shell exists (not what you want!).

Best regards,
gvb