[U-Boot-Users] Compile mpc8260 in u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 30 14:55:02 CEST 2007

Dear Jerry,

in message <469F6B47.5060400 at smiths-aerospace.com> you wrote:

> I'm guessing you don't have your PATH set up correctly.  You should
> export a symbol for your cross compiler location and prefix rather than
> modifying the makefile.  The following is what I use:
>
> export PATH=$PATH:/opt/eldk/usr/bin/
> export CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-
> export ARCH=ppc

I would like to point out that this NOT a legal way to run the ELDK.
For allowed settings of the CROSS_COMPILE variable please see
the table at http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKUsage

Other settings are NOT allowed and lead to undefined behaviour.

For example, your mode of usage does not work at all even for trivial
user space applications:

-> cat h.c
#include <stdio.h>
int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
        printf ("hello world\n");
        return (0);
}
-> export CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-
-> powerpc-linux-gcc -c h.c
h.c:1:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
h.c: In function 'main':
h.c:4: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'printf'

Please do NOT use the ELDK as above. It does NOT work as intended. If
it worked for you so far than you were just extremely lucky.

Please point people to the official documentation instead.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Everyting looks interesting until you do it. Then you find it's  just
another job.                     - Terry Pratchett, _Moving Pictures_