[U-Boot-Users] Blocking network in ixp425

Teemu Keskinarkaus Teemu.Keskinarkaus at cc-systems.com
Tue Jun 5 11:21:31 CEST 2007

> From: Stefan Roese [mailto:sr at denx.de]
> On Tuesday 05 June 2007, Teemu Keskinarkaus wrote:
> > I'm working with the ixp425 based system. The u-boot is also working
> > fine except I noticed that the network calls like eth_rx is
blocking.
> > That creates problem with the software that has to work with the
U-boot
> > because whole system is block and timing and stuff won't work.
>
> I have to admit, that I don't really know what you mean. When U-Boot
is
> doing
> ethernet communication, it is not doing anything else. Or am I missing
> something here?
>
> Of course, timeout handling should work while doing ethernet traffic.
I ment, like I understand the blocking/non-blocking, that function does
not exit before it gets something and for example eth_rx case it does
not return before it gets message from network.

How do I setup that timeout if that is possible? I looked the
ixp425_recv correctly there isn't any timeout. Only sleep between polls
to buffer? Maybe that part could be modified the way that it only waits
for some time and then exits telling that buffer len is 0. Don't know
what that breaks though.

> > For reason beyond me I have to use base version 1.1.2, but I can
take
> > some stuff from newer version if it's required to get the
non-blocking
> > network commands to work.
>
> Please try to use the current (to-of-git) version of U-Boot. What
error
> message do you get?
Like I said, reasons beyond me I have to use base version 1.1.2. It's
not about what error message I get or not. I know, it does not make
sense for me either.

Teemu K.