[U-Boot-Users] Blocking network in ixp425

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Jun 5 12:01:44 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 05 June 2007, Teemu Keskinarkaus wrote:
> > I have to admit, that I don't really know what you mean. When U-Boot
> > is doing
> > ethernet communication, it is not doing anything else. Or am I missing
> > something here?
> >
> > Of course, timeout handling should work while doing ethernet traffic.
>
> I ment, like I understand the blocking/non-blocking, that function does
> not exit before it gets something and for example eth_rx case it does
> not return before it gets message from network.

Yes, you could be right here. IIRC the U-Boot ethernet driver should return
either with or without a package.

> How do I setup that timeout if that is possible? I looked the
> ixp425_recv correctly there isn't any timeout. Only sleep between polls
> to buffer? Maybe that part could be modified the way that it only waits
> for some time and then exits telling that buffer len is 0. Don't know
> what that breaks though.

It's was quite some time ago, that I last used U-Boot on an IXP4xx CPU. But
IIRC, timeouts are working correctly in the current driver. Even though the
driver is quite ugly (and the Intel Access Library even more!).

I can't test right now, so perhaps some other IXP4xx user can tell us, if
ethernet timeouts are working or not. Thanks.

> Like I said, reasons beyond me I have to use base version 1.1.2. It's
> not about what error message I get or not. I know, it does not make
> sense for me either.

Yes, this doesn't make sense at all. And please make sure to not violate the
GPL. The current approach, with linking the NPE binary into the U-Boot image,
violates the GPL. I hope to submit the patch from Martijn this week to
finally get rid of this issue.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de