[U-Boot-Users] Serial transfer using loads

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 7 20:50:38 CEST 2007

In message <4dde4acb0706070659l744b0024sfdb9a5294d1f7717 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

>    I am using C-Kermit to communicate with my board. I have tried to
> transfer a over the serial prompt. But the syntax of loads looks
> weird.

Please make sure to read the manual. Kermit is fine, but for S-Record
download you better use "cu".

> loads [ off ]
>     - load S-Record file over serial line with offset 'off'
>
>   So where so we specify the file name?? When I type in loads, the
> following appears:
>
> ## Ready for S-Record download ...

Correct. U-Boot is just the receiving end. It does not know (and does
not need to know) anything about such things as files or so. It  just
reads incoming data from the serial line.

>   This is fine. But then I am not able to type the filename ( In the
> manual - "Hello World" example, "~>examples/hello_world.srec" appears
> after the above line. Where does it come from? ) Where do we specify
> the filename??

In the sending command in your terminal emulation, as shown in the
manual.  Try "man cu", and you will see:

	~> file
             Send a file to the remote system. This just dumps the
             file over the communication line. It is assumed that the
             remote system is expecting it.

That's exactly what U-Boot does.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The connection between the language in which we think/program and the
problems and solutions we can imagine is very close. For this  reason
restricting  language  features  with  the intent of eliminating pro-
grammer errors is at best dangerous.
               - Bjarne Stroustrup in "The  C++ Programming Language"