[U-Boot-Users] Can a BDI2K be used with a bare/erased 834x based system?

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Tue Jun 19 22:01:09 CEST 2007

Joe Grisso wrote:

> You know, that's interesting. We're using a BDI2000 with an mpc8343
> here, and have to set the processor to a pre-defined mode to initially
> flash a RCW in, then set it back to loading from local bus after we
> have a valid word programmed. We've followed Freescale's guides on how
> to connect the COP port to the CPU, but have never gotten past
> switching modes to program the RCW.

I'm not a hardware guy, so I can't tell you if you're doing something wrong or even if
Freescale's guides (which I have not read) are complete.

I can say that I haven't had any real problems with the BDI-2000 on any Freescale
reference board I've used.  However, creating a BDI-2000 configuration file is tricky,
especially if you're debugging U-Boot.  U-Boot will generally not boot on a board that has
had some BDI-2000 pre-programming (i.e. stuff in the [INIT] section).  So I usually have
two configuration files: one just for flashing, and the other for debugging early U-Boot.

The one for flashing will initialize the CPU, DDR, and flash memory.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale