[U-Boot-Users] README.NetConsole question

Scott McNutt smcnutt at psyent.com
Thu Mar 15 14:26:16 CET 2007

Hi Igor & Detlev,

>> As the "man nc" states about -l option, "It
>> is an error to use this option in conjunction with the -p".
>
> Huh!  Where exactly does it say so?  I cannot even find "error" in the
> manpage to my nc (1.10-32 on a Debian system).

On my FC5 system, (nc-1.84-3.2) the netcat manpage does make
such a statement:

>  -l  Used to specify that nc should listen for an incoming connection
>      rather than initiate a connection to a remote host.  It is an
>      error to use this option in conjunction with the -p, -s, or -z
>      options.  Additionally, any timeouts specified with the -w option
>      are ignored.

Note that it does not define an option parameter in the manpage
documentation for the option ... but the "CLIENT/SERVER MODEL"
section of the manpage gives an example:

>  It is quite simple to build a very basic client/server model using nc.
>  On one console, start nc listening on a specific port for a connection.
>  For example:
>
>        $ nc -l 1234

I'm not sure when or why the option differences started
between your two versions of netcat -- but they do apparently
exist.

That said, you may want to use the following if your version
complains about the -l and -p options being used together:

    $ nc -u -l 6666

Regards,
--Scott