[U-Boot-Users] CFG_ENV_SECT_SIZE != CFG_ENV_SIZE

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Tue Mar 27 19:27:00 CEST 2007

In [u-boot.git] / common / env_flash.c around line 171 there is a

#if CFG_ENV_SECT_SIZE > CFG_ENV_SIZE

to be able to mix other data, and the environment info. (Where 'other data'
could be U-Boot code).

However, in an email a few days ago:

On 3/26/07, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
 > In message <46040C60.5070505 at inaccessnetworks.com> you wrote:
 > > I have a flash chip with equally sized sectors and I don't want to waste
 > > an entire sector for the environment. I have the u-boot environment
 > > embedded in the u-boot sector. The declarations in my board file are:
 >
 > Do not do this. Do NOT do this. DO NOT DO THIS.
 >
 > Please never mix U-Boot code and environment data in one sector.
 > Always use a separate sector (or two) for the environment.

If that is the recommendation (which is fine), why have this code snippet in
there, and not add something like:

#error Do not do this. Do NOT do this. DO NOT DO THIS.

:)

This is just curiosity - no other reason.
-Robin