[U-Boot-Users] IXP425 ethernet & NPE microcode

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Thu May 10 01:16:16 CEST 2007

Hi Jonathan,

> Is there another way of providing ethernet support for this platform
> without the license violation? Are there any legal ramifications that
> follow? (Are they more likely to come from Intel or elsewhere?)
>
> It seems that u-boot wouldn't build until I added the file (I suppose
> that I could have tried disabling ethernet)...

Take a look at the www.nslu2-linux.org project.

The NSLU2 is a Linksys USB network storage device.
It has the same issue with IXP4xx Intel firmware.

The Slug's, as they are fondly referred to, use
RedBoot as a bootloader, and there exist various
Linux kernels.

Look around the NSLU2 web site for comments on the
Intel firmware. If there is nothing definitive there,
I recall Rod Whitby posted messages to the nslu2-linux
newsgroup explaining the requirements; check the archives,
or join the group and ask Rod directly.

I haven't looked into the details, but I figured you
might not be aware of the project, so this might
help.

Regards,
Dave