[U-Boot-Users] CFG_MONITOR_BASE < CFG_FLASH_BASE

Leonid Leonid at a-k-a.net
Thu May 17 03:47:31 CEST 2007

On Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:12 PM Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <406A31B117F2734987636D6CCC93EE3C017BA2D5 at ehost011-
> 3.exch011.intermedia.net> you wrote:
> >
> > RAM and starts it. Note that u-boot environment variables stay on
the
> > flash all the time.

> No, that's not correct. They get relocated to RAM like all other
> U-Boot code and data.

Well, I cannot answer for all possible boards, but on 3 boards I have
here (Spartan FPGA Microblaze core, Virtex FPGA PPC405 core,
at91rm9200-ek ATMEL board) u-boot is configured to be compiled to run
from RAM, gets loaded to RAM by another bootloader and runs there, yet
u-boot looks for environment on the flash and "saveenv" saves
environment onto flash. May be it's not a "canonical" way of running
from RAM, but it's convenient for me.

> Actually the situation is very simple: if you know how to do it, just
> use it - you will then also know when it does not make sense. If  you
> have  to  ask questions to get booting from RAM goind, then keep your
> fingers off, as you don;t have the qualification to use it.

I cannot agree more.

Best regards,

Leonid.