[U-Boot-Users] minimum bdi config to read flash on 85xx

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Tue Sep 4 20:26:39 CEST 2007

Hi Robert,

> The big problem we have now: is this a hardware issue or a bdi config
> issue? Aside from the flash we have 1GigaByte of DDR ram. Can anyone
> help us track our flash issues down to be hardware, config file, or
> some combination? The hardware guys think the board is fine.

Have you checked that the Flash is getting accessed?

I'm working with an 83xx based board, so the 85xx will
be slightly different, but here's what I'd look for.
When the processor boots, it reads a hardware configuration
word (HCW) that tells it where to boot from. The pin strapping
can be set to tell it to use Flash. Assuming the HCW
is read correctly, you should be able to see the
CE# line on the Flash assert when the processor boots.

So, assuming you convince yourself that the hardware
configuration words are being read, you should be able
to confirm that the Flash is being accessed after
reset.

You might have to try this with the JTAG/COP disconnected.

Cheers,
Dave