[U-Boot-Users] minimum bdi config to read flash on 85xx

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Tue Sep 4 21:45:19 CEST 2007

David Hawkins wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>

>> The big problem we have now: is this a hardware issue or a bdi config
>> issue? Aside from the flash we have 1GigaByte of DDR ram. Can anyone
>> help us track our flash issues down to be hardware, config file, or
>> some combination? The hardware guys think the board is fine.
>>

> Have you checked that the Flash is getting accessed?

Very good point. I know you've made many changes since your initial
setup Robert. Did any of them make the chip select strobe?
> I'm working with an 83xx based board, so the 85xx will
> be slightly different, but here's what I'd look for.
> When the processor boots, it reads a hardware configuration
> word (HCW) that tells it where to boot from. The pin strapping
> can be set to tell it to use Flash. Assuming the HCW
> is read correctly, you should be able to see the
> CE# line on the Flash assert when the processor boots.

Also, on the 83xx you can set the RCW values directly from the BDI-2000,
using an entry like the following in the TARGET section:

RCW 0x8060a000 0x04230000

This lets you set a lot of boot options. Maybe the 8548 can do this too?