[U-Boot-Users] booting kernel image from jffs2 partition

stefano babic sbabic at denx.de
Thu Sep 6 10:12:39 CEST 2007

Marco Stornelli wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I work with Fabio Ubaldi. The problem is this: the new linux kernel
> image is send to system from a remote site and the system has to update
> the image automatically. Our ideas was this: after the system had
> mounted the jffs2 linux kernel partition, it copy the new image in
> /mnt/kernel (jffs2 linux kernel partition) and after that the system is
> rebooted. To perform this U-Boot must be able to boot a linux kernel
> image from a jffs2 partition. I hope that the problem is now more clear.

I imagined this scenario, it is a very common user case.
However, it seems you add an additional layer you probably do not need.
The remote system sends the image and the target can store directly
(yes, you can do it !) into /dev/mtd0 or whatever is your mtd device for
the kernel, without caching it into a jffs2 partition. You really do not
need to save it into the filesystem.

Regards,
stefano babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de