[U-Boot-Users] U-BOOT and UART TX with interrupts (need help please)

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Wed Sep 26 15:03:19 CEST 2007

Stanislav G. Prihodko wrote:
> Yes, yes, I know what you are going to say. With the use of off fully, not
> built originally in the program U-BOOT.
> But the interruption did not have any relationship to the operating system.
> The same level of hardware implementation exchange data with pereferiey. And
> as logical, therefore have to complete events or otherwise.
> If you send a lot of data or data to do so is through the interruption, is
> not it?
> I understand that this remarkable U-BOOT actually loader. And it is
> remarkable opportunities. For example implement the programme as
> "Standalone", and so can get through this opportunity to interrupt?
> I just want to build their program on the basis of good, enabled solutions.

Hi Stanislav,

If you want to use interrupts and u-boot, you will have to set things up
on your own, it is outside the normal use of u-boot.

Standalone is probably a good choice if you wish to pursue this.  Be
aware that you are using u-boot in a way that it was not designed to be
used.  You will have to add functionality (interrupt handling, possibly
more) to your code and/or u-boot.  The u-boot list will probably not be
very helpful - when you do unusual things, other people will not have
experience with the problems you have and thus will be unable to give
much advice.

 From your other email:
> Now we build our program directly into the source code of programs U-BOOT.
> And we want to use interrupts.

Note that, if you *link* your program  u-boot (build directly into the
u-boot source), you *must* use a GPL-compatible license for your program
(i.e. your program must be Open Source - you must provide an offer of
your modifications/source to your users).

If you run your program "standalone", the u-boot licensing gives
permission to use a proprietary license for your code which is running
standalone.

Best regards,
gvb