[U-Boot-Users] RFC: U-Boot version numbering

Adrian Filipi adrian.filipi at eurotech.com
Fri Aug 1 20:46:30 CEST 2008

Like a lot of others, I think v1.08.xx will be confusing alongside the existing
1.x.y releases.

As to the v1/v2 issues, the problem is that it's just a number and a greater
number implies progress and a unidirectional relationship.  Given that v2
already exists concurrent with v1, it's misleading.  People won't know that one
might not be for production.

Instead of v1/v2, I'd prefer that the first field be related to the version
control branch name.  i.e. u-boot-stable-yyyy.mm for the master git branch and
maybe u-boot-experimental-yyyy.mm, should there ever be concurrent releases.

	Adrian
--
Linux Software Engineer | EuroTech, Inc. | www.eurotech-inc.com