[U-Boot-Users] RFC: U-Boot version numbering

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com
Mon Aug 4 18:05:05 CEST 2008

Hi,

in general I totally ack to a new version numbering scheme.

When we are releasing U-Boot for some of our hardware this is typically done
asynchronous to the U-Boot release cycle. We (often) cannot wait until a new
U-Boot is released. So we take the current U-Boot version + build date/time
as effective version.

We also used CONFIG_IDENT_STRING to identify a special version some time ago.
But I do not like it much.

Do you see a better way to identify a special U-Boot version?
EXTRAVERSION could be fine, but it is already used to release candidates etc.

What is common practice in other companies?

Matthias