[U-Boot] PHY lib

Andy Fleming afleming at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 22:20:53 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Ben Warren <biggerbadderben at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Michal,
> Michal Simek wrote:
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> how does look like your propose work about PHY lib?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michal
>>

> I'd like to have the PHY library included in the 02.2009 release.  One
> of the things I'm struggling with is how so specify MDIO busses and PHY
> addresses.  For example, is it preferable to have a bunch of
> CONFIG_PHY_ADDR_x or a board-code struct?  How to link/register PHYs
> with MDIO buses, since conceivably a board could have hardware MDIO
> and/or bit-banged MDIO, and any PHY could be on any bus.

I think the board-code should pass it in.  Each nic just needs a
pointer to its PHY.  Some boards will have hard-coded addresses, and
some will have addresses that change depending on circumstances (the
DS boards use different PHYs when they are operating in SGMII mode,
for instance).  Some boards will even have set it up so you have to
scan for a PHY.  Many PCI nics seem to require this, despite its
inherent fragility.

So I think if the board code were able to find PHY handles, then we
can let the boards decide how to get that information (and eventually
transition to pulling it out of a device tree)

Andy