[U-Boot] NAND only (no NOR)

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed Dec 3 06:48:57 CET 2008

On Wednesday 03 December 2008, Sean MacLennan wrote:
> We use a 256M NAND on the PIKA Warp appliance and where unable to boot
> u-boot from the NAND. It worked on a smaller 64M NAND.

Currently you need to define the page-size of the NAND used for booting (512
bytes vs. 2k). The 2k 4xx NAND booting support is was done about 1/2 a year
ago. So perhaps you tested this when this 2k support was not available yet.

> So we put our FPGA and u-boot in a small NOR. The kernel, rootfs and
> other files are on the NAND.

Yes, I would recommend to do it this way if possible. A small NOR for U-Boot
and environment and everything else in NAND. This makes things much easier.
But I understand that this is sometimes a problem with space (2 FLASH chips)
and costs.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de