[U-Boot] Writing own Standalone programs

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 8 21:10:43 CET 2008

Dear "Piyush Shah",

In message <ad27f3010812080534paa385e8nf8db3a7a8cd86f6 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I have to write some standalone applications to be run from U-boot. My
> questions are:
> 1) Can we include only those header files which are a part of the U-boot
> code? What needs to be done to use files from the /usr/include/ folder?

You can do anything you want, but you have to keep two thingsin mind:

1) The GPL  license  exception  for  standalone  programs  is  pretty
   specific.  If  you  deviate,  your resulting code will most likely
   have to be released under GPL.

2) U-Boot provides only a very simple,  restricted  runtime  environ-
   ment.  Any  additional  stull  you  include may require additional
   libraries, which may rely  on  operating  system  features,  or  C
   runtime features, that are not present in U-Boot context.

> 2) Does the code for the standalone application be always present in the
> examples/ folder?

No. These are just examples.

> 3) Can't we write our own Makefile which will create a .bin and .srec file
> from a simple C-Program and work from U-boot, instead of compiling entire
> U-boot?

Yes, of course you can.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If you want strict real-time behavior, run in the real  time  schedu-
ling class.  But there are no seatbelts or airbags;  main(){for(;;);}
can hard hang your system.                          -- Bart Smaalders