[U-Boot] scan jffs2 NAND slow and bad block

Derek Ou derek at siconix.com
Wed Dec 10 00:56:39 CET 2008

Dear all,

I just enabled CMD_JFFS2 and JFFS2_NAND in the uboot 1.3.4 for my
at91sam9263 based board.  In general,  it works in loading the jffs2
file system and loading files from it.  However, it takes almost an hour
to scan the jffs2 partition, which is 512 MiB.  Is it because of the
size of the partition?  Linux loads and starts within a minute.  How
come it takes so long for u-boot?

Also, it seems that fsload/scanning FS routine does not skip the bad
blocks in NAND.  So it complains about "read_nand_cached: error reading
nand off 0x########", with the address within bad blocks reported by
"nand bad".  Did I forget something in the configuration?

Thanks,
Derek

******** my related configuration ********
#undef CONFIG_CMD_FLASH
#define CONFIG_CMD_NAND        1
#define CONFIG_CMD_JFFS2
#define NAND_MAX_CHIPS            1
#define CFG_MAX_NAND_DEVICE        1
#define CFG_NAND_BASE            0x40000000
#define CFG_NAND_DBW_8            1
#undef CONFIG_JFFS2_CMDLINE
#define CONFIG_JFFS2_NAND            1
#define CONFIG_JFFS2_DEV            "nand0"
#define CONFIG_JFFS2_PART_SIZE        0x20000000
#define CONFIG_JFFS2_PART_OFFSET    0