[U-Boot] init FEC @ MPC5200

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 19:12:07 CET 2008

Andre Schwarz wrote:
> Ben,
>
> after cloning the latest u-boot git I can see that you've added this
> inside the mvBC-P board setup :
>
> int board_eth_init(bd_t *bis)
> {
>     cpu_eth_init(bis); /* Built in FEC comes first */
>     return pci_eth_init(bis);
> }
>
> Are you aware that there's no PHY connected and the ETH-Pins are used
> otherwise ?
>
> CONFIG_MPC5xxx_FEC is _not_ defined.
>

> Can you tell me where "cpu_eth_init(bis)" is actually pointing to ?

Since CONFIG_MPC5xxx_FEC isn't defined, the default weak cpu_eth_init()
function in net/eth.c should get called, which does essentially
nothing.  I assumed that since you #undef'd the FEC controller in your
board header file (instead of leaving it out completely), that it was
perhaps optional, and so kept the call to cpu_eth_init() as shown above.

Are you seeing a problem with this?
> regards,
> André
>
> MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstraße 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler  - Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 271090
> Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner

regards,
Ben