[U-Boot] SATA/IDE/etc... init

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Dec 11 09:04:10 CET 2008

the SATA/IDE/etc... layers seem to go against the u-boot policy when it comes
to initialization.  in other words, if support for them is enabled, then they
are unconditionally initialized in board code (see ide_init / sata_initialize
in lib_*/board.c:board_init_r).  am i missing something or should these init
functions be delayed until the sata/ide/whatever functions need them ?  or
should they be made explicit like some commands where you first have to do
"sata init" before you can access the device ?

this bugs me most because normally u-boot starts up nice & fast, but now that
we've added SATA support, there's an annoying second or 3 pause while the disk
is probed ...
-mike