[U-Boot] dts to dtb generation

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Fri Dec 12 17:44:09 CET 2008

Marco Antônio Possamai wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I need to get my device-tree blob done, in order to pass it along with
> the image I've created (bootm command). I'm kind of new on the dtb
> concept and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Have read some stuff
> about it, though.
>
> What I got is that I have to generate a .dtb out of this source file
> (lite5200b.dts). But I can't get my dtc to work.
>
> I've downloaded the latest version
> (http://jdl.com/software/dtc-latest.tgz) and done the make command, but
> it points some errors during building. Check the snippet:

Good.

> BISON dtc-parser.tab.c
>  DEP dtc-parser.tab.c
>  LEX dtc-lexer.lex.c
> make: flex: Command not found

Bad.  You are done at this point.

[snip]

> I'm aware there must be some small detail I must be missing in order to
> get it right, but I'd really appreciate a pointer here.
>

> Thanks for the attention.
> Marco Antônio Possamai

Hi Marco,

You are missing the flex package, and thus the "flex" command, on your
system.  Flex is a lexical parser (classic name "lex").

You didn't say what your host's distribution is.  If it is debian, you
need to install the flex package.  RH/SuSE may name their package
differently (probably not).
<http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=flex&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all>

Best regards,
gvb