[U-Boot] FSL DDR @ 83xx

Jon Loeliger jdl at freescale.com
Fri Dec 12 20:13:55 CET 2008

Andre Schwarz wrote:

>> I don't believe anyone is currently working on getting the new ddr
>> code to be used w/83xx.  Feel free to submit patches that does this
>> and we will review them as they are posted.
>>
>> - k
> After spending few hours it seems to work basically.
> This is what I've done :
>
> - add mpc8xxx(ddr/libddr.a to top level Makefile for 83xx
> - created mpc83xx/ddr-gen2.c and ported to meet ddr83xx_t
> - created board specific ddr.c for SPD accessor and basic setup.
> - created board specific ddr2_spd_eeprom_t (soldered memory)
>
> The board config got these #defines :
>
> #define CONFIG_FSL_DDR2
> #define CONFIG_DDR_SPD
> #define CONFIG_NUM_DDR_CONTROLLERS      1           -> this should go
> into mpc83xx header
> #define CONFIG_DIMM_SLOTS_PER_CTLR      1
> #define CONFIG_CHIP_SELECTS_PER_CTRL    1
>
> Since spd_sdram.o is always build (mpc83xx/Makefile) and the code is
> also activated by CONFIG_SPD_EEPROM
> we should find a reasonable way  to switch between "old" and "new" DDR
> code by some kind of #define.
>
> Is this the way to go ?

Yes, it is.  You will also need a per-board set of functions
to answer the "configuration issues" in a way similar to the
rest of the 85xx and 86xx boards.

You will have to carefully juggle the presence of the
"new" and "old" simultaneously (via CONFIG_FSL_DDR2, likely)
until all the 83xx boards are supported under the new mechanism.

jdl