[U-Boot] reducing u-boot.bin size

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Dec 13 20:52:09 CET 2008

Dear Fahd Abidi,

In message <71DEA556544D7A4F9C6848402D818434036351 at usi01.ultsol.local> you wrote:

> I am trying to reduce the size of the u-boot.bin file so that it fits
> into a 256KB promjet. I disabled all the drivers that I didn't need and
> have just kept the NOR driver but the binary size is still 512KB, it
> seems to be a hard number coded in somewhere. I would have thought this
> was the size of the .data section set somewhere in the linker script but
> it does not appear to be so. Does anyone know where the image size can
> be altered from?

Well, it would have been helpful if you had told us which board you
are talking about.

Some processors have a fixed reset vector address at  0xFFFFFFFC,  so
the  U-Boot  image  has  to include that address, i. e. it covers the
full range from the start address to the end of the  32  bit  address
space.  In such a case, the start address must be changed - check the
setting of TEXT_BASE in your board/<name>/config.mk file.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
An expert is a person who avoids the small errors while  sweeping  on
to the grand fallacy.