[U-Boot] [U-Boot-Users] TFTP server support in U-boot

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 20:42:22 CET 2008

Hello Santosh,

santosh pattar wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> As of now in the U-boot only TFTP client is supported. I am planning
> to have TFTP server support in the u-boot. Can you please help me in
> this regarding?
>
> Please provide me few links if this has been done already, or links
> from where i can take some information and start working on it.

I believe this has come up before, so search the mail archives.  I don't
remember anybody posting a patch, though.  In general, U-boot doesn't
'serve', so you have quite a bit of work to do.  Luckily, TFTP is one of
the more trivial protocols, hence the name.

I'm curious why you want to do this.  People generally use U-boot as
transient software for loading operating systems that are much more
suitable for serving images.  Do you have a situation where you have
several identical devices and want to reduce the upstream network load?
In that case, you may want to look into the multicast TFTP instead.

regards,
Ben