[U-Boot] [U-Boot-Users] TFTP server support in U-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Dec 17 11:11:16 CET 2008

Dear Santosh,

In message <19f3dfd10812170156l211f73fft61d1ad25f5724775 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> We want to have server on the board so that it does what
> we(Application running in different place/system) wants it to do.We
> dont want the board to initiate the transfer.Always the application
> running on different system which controls this board should initiate
> the transfer.We can say that some other system is controlling  this
> board, so board does not have privilege to initiate any transfer.

Umm... but you don't have to change anything to acchieve this. That's
already what we have now. U-Boot never does anythingonit's own  -  it
only  performs the commands you give it. If you do not send a command
to U-Boot to perform a TFTP download it will not  do  anything  -  it
will just wait for your commands.

> So in this kind of systems we may have TFTP server in u-boot.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. You are  wasting  your  efforts
here. If you want to be able to control U-Boot remotely, then just do
it  -  either obver the serial console interface, or using netconsole
over Ethernet. This is actually much more flexible than the  solution
you  have  in  mind  -  and  you don;t have to spendany efforts on it
because it's all already available.

> Please let me know if this is clear.

It is clear to me, but I think it's based on  a  misunderstanding  on
your side of how U-Boot works.

> On 12/17/08, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> > Dear "santosh pattar",
> >
> > In message <19f3dfd10812162008q27069e30uec230196911ba3f3 at mail.gmail.com> you
> > wrote:

Please do not top-post / full quote!!!

Read http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html , please.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
God made the integers; all else is the work of Man.       - Kronecker