[U-Boot] [U-Boot-Users] TFTP server support in U-boot

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 19:11:59 CET 2008

Hi Santosh,

santosh pattar wrote:
> Dear Ben,
>
> Thank you very much for the suggestion. Actually i could able to get
> the TFTP server up in u-boot. This Server wont run in the background
> all the time. The senario is like this, Board comes up and checks for
> validation of the image on the flash. If the validation fails it
> switches to the server mode that is its in the listening mode. If any
> read/write (RRQ/WRQ) requests come to the board, it services them and
> as you suggested if complete/done command(file) comes it switches from
> server mode and continues with the regular operation.
>
> Now i am able to service Read and write operations which come from
> TFTP client(PC based) .But this needs still lot of testing and
> validation. Can we make this as part of u-boot main line release?
> please let me know your views.

I'm not yet convinced of the utility of a TFTP server, though.  Lots of
people validate the flash version and pull an image via TFTP if needed,
but are able to do it using the TFTP client.  It looks like you're
downloading code to your board, using a 'put' operation from the Windows
client, right?  If the problem is that you don't have a TFTP server on
your PC, there are plenty of free Windows TFTP servers out there.
Google can help.

If, on the other hand, you can clearly explain why you need a server in
U-boot, of course we'll listen and will accept patches that meet all of
the standard criteria.
> And if you say yes , we can make this as part of u-boot main line
> release then i would need help from your side in finding out the
> different test cases to test this fully.
>
> Thank you very much for your suggestion.
>
> Regards,
> santosh

regards,
Ben