[U-Boot] My Linux kernel hangs at the Uncompressing Linux ... phase

Pink Boy dasfoo at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 25 21:21:09 CET 2008

Diptopal Basu,

> I have compiled a Linux kernel ( version 2.6.22.19 )  for
> ARM at91rm9200dk board, I used the mkimage utility in U
< boot load the kernel at a specific area of memory .
> ( Skyeye Simulator )
>
> However I get the Uncompressing Linux ... message and it
> stays at that line indefinitely ... attaching screenshot
> ... this is on the skyeye simulator .

That is a fundamental issue with the build of the kernel
itself.  IE, something fundamentally wrong with the image.
u-boot uncompressed it, then jumped to it, and it crashed
hard.

> I am just booting the kernel I do not have a device tree
> blob or anything else here , that is , I compiled the
> kernel with at91rm9200dk defconfig, got the zImage ,

Woah back up. zImage?  I'm not sure what the difference
is but I use the uImage to boot the kernel.

> used mkimage to add a U boot header and
> using bootm <memory location where the file is flashed
> command to start it .

> What could be the problem ?

Probably the setup of mkImage is wrong, kernal being loaded
in the wrong place in memory, etc or the machine type being
passed to the kernel is wrong?

PS: I can send you a known working uImage and zImage for
the AT91RM9200EK that you can try.  Just maybe not today
as it's Christmas.

Matt