[U-Boot] run_command() / do_run() fails in standalone application

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Dec 27 12:17:16 CET 2008

Dear Remy,

In message <3efb10970812270130n429d5853l930a69d784e7855d at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> This is different per architecture, and not properly explained in the
> readme and the faq.

Please feel free to contribute and improve the documentation...

> Is the memory there really always free?

On PowerPC: yes.

> But, why is this information on the FAQ still not in the README? This
> is what most people tend to read first...

Well, IMO the user ("user" in the sense of one who  uses  an  already
running  U-Boot)  is  supposed  to  read  the manual first, while the
README (and even more the project pages in the  wiki)  are  important
for  a  developer  (one  who  configures, builds and runs U-Boot). As
such, command usage (as for the "go" command) is expected to be found
in the manual. Implementation and porting details can be found in the
doc/README.standalone file, which is IMO ok, too. I think it makes no
sense to litter the README with  all  information  about  everything.
YMMV, of course.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
                                                          - Bob Dylan