[U-Boot] [mpc8313] objcopy generates huge binary

Matthew L. Creech mlcreech at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 20:49:33 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 12:25 AM, Jerry Van Baren <gvb.uboot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> It is most likely a u-boot configuration problem where there is something
> (e.g. code) at a low address and a high address and objcopy is gap filling.
>
> Use "objdump -h" to dump the sections and look at what sections and
> addresses are.  You will likely find loadable sections at both ends of your
> memory map.

Thanks for the reply Jerry.  FYI, I just saw your comments in a

http://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg07496.html

I haven't found a reference for what changed to make GCC start using
".rodata.str1.1", and I don't know anything about linker scripts.
However, adding that section to the script fixes the build issues for
me, and doesn't seem to adversely affect the build when using an older
GCC (I tested with 4.3.2 and 4.2.1).  The attached one-liner works for
us on the 83xx; if there are no ill effects, perhaps all of the PPC
link scripts could do something like this to fix any similar issues.

--
Matthew L. Creech