[U-Boot] Copy environment variables to another board

Alessandro Rubini rubini-list at gnudd.com
Tue Dec 30 12:40:18 CET 2008

> So you're proposing to use Linux to copy U-Boot environment. But on a
> new board (picked from the shelf) I don't have Linux and I should set
> some U-Boot variables to run it.

So you might prefer setting them as predefined in you configuration
file, so when the u-boot binary finds no environment on flash (crc
error) and it will use those values, until you saveenv new values.

> I was thinking of a "U-Boot only" procedure, like md.b (to run on the
> source board) and cp.b (to run on the destination board).

You can unprotect, erase, and cp.b to the flash sector(s), once you
have the binary image of the environment. You can extract such
image from /dev/mtd in the running board and then use tftp (as you
suggested) on the new board.

hope this helps
/alessandro