[U-Boot] Copy environment variables to another board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Dec 30 22:42:36 CET 2008

Dear "Giuseppe Modugno",

In message <495A0CE8.31716.C0772D at g.modugno.elettronika.it> you wrote:

> > then
> > you can just read the sector(s) containing the environment from their
> > corresponding  /dev/mtd*  devices  in  Linux and copy it to the other
> > system.
>
> So you're proposing to use Linux to copy U-Boot environment. But on a
> new board (picked from the shelf) I don't have Linux and I should set
> some U-Boot variables to run it.

It is difficult to make recommendations when you're providing
inconsistent input. In your previous message you wrote:

>> I have a board running U-Boot/Linux. U-Boot program, two U-Boot
>> environments, Linux kernel and root filesystem for Linux are stored
>> in a NOR Flash.

Now you claim "I don't have Linux".

Can you please decide whether or not you have Linux running on that
board?

> Another possibility is to printenv on the source board, copy the text
> result from the terminal into a text file, append "setenv " at the
> top of each lines, substitute = character with space, insert the
> quotes where needed and paste the result in the terminal of the
> destination board.

You could (and probaly should) put the constant part of your
definitions into the default environment, and use a script image for
the rest.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast  determi-
nistic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.
- unix manuals