[U-Boot-Users] ppc4xx: PCI init failure on kilauea?

H L swdevyid at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 18:29:36 CET 2008

Greetings from Austin, TX.  My first posting to this list.  Searched through the archives first, but didn't see any mention, so.....

On recently obtained new kilauea boards, I noted on all of them PCI init failure at boot:

U-Boot 1.3.1-g5dd372a2 (Jan 14 2008 - 11:01:38)

CPU:   AMCC PowerPC 405EX Rev. A at 400 MHz (PLB=200, OPB=100, EBC=100 MHz)
       Security support
       Bootstrap Option H - Boot ROM Location I2C (Addr 0x52)
       16 kB I-Cache 16 kB D-Cache
Board: Kilauea - AMCC PPC405EX Evaluation Board
I2C:   ready
DTT1:  22 C
DRAM:  256 MB
FLASH: 64 MB
NAND:  64 MiB
PCI:   Bus Dev VenId DevId Class Int
PCIE0: link is not up.
PCIE0: initialization as root-complex failed
PCIE1: link is not up.
PCIE1: initialization as root-complex failed

I did a git on ppc4xx and built/flashed that, but still seeing the same failure.  Appears to die in ppc4xx_init_pcie_port() on the:

    /*
     * Verify link is up
     */
    val = SDR_READ(SDRN_PESDR_LOOP(port));
    if (!(val & 0x00001000)) {

val is coming back with a value of zero.  This occurs whether or not any adapters are plugged into the PCIe slots.  Anyone else seeing this?

thx,
LH