[U-Boot-Users] Boot from NAND FLASH

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Fri May 16 21:17:47 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 02:54:34PM +0800, jiale.Yin wrote:
> Our board is reference with the mpc8313erdb,and its design is to link CS0
> to the NAND FLASH, so I have to boot from NAND other than NOR.In
> /board/mpc8313erdb I can find some files, such as nand_boot.c, nand.c and
> nand_ecc.c,

I assume you're talking about the Freescale BSP, as those files are not in
mainline u-boot.

> which I think are related with booting from NAND.What I want
> to know is if booting from NAND,is there any need to modify the start.s

No, beyond what's already been changed in the BSP to support it.  Make sure
you use a NAND configuration when building u-boot.

> and what is needed to ba added. What's the difference between NOR-BOOT and
> NAND-BOOT. Thank you!

NOR can be mapped in its entirety, while with NAND only the first 4KiB gets
mapped, and that code has to fetch the rest of u-boot from NAND and copy it
to RAM before continuing.

-Scott