[U-Boot] Building u-boot for the AT91RM9200-EK circa 2008

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Sat Nov 1 15:34:11 CET 2008

> On 17:34 Fri 31 Oct     , Pink Boy wrote:
>>
>> Hi, first post here.
>>
>> vis: Building u-boot for the AT91RM9200-EK circa 2008
>>
>> Is this still possible all things considered? It appears that
>> this board is left behind in a backwater sometime around 2006.
>>
>> Problem is I need to compile a new version of u-boot for my
>> new board based on the AT91RM9200 and I'm having a lot of trouble.
>> My board is very closely based on the AT91RM9200-EK, pretty much
>> the same except the flash has changed. So I need to modify u-boot
>> to handle the new flash (AT49BV642D). I'm running into real
>> problems, at least for a noob.
>>
>> On my board I can get two versions of u-boot to run, the 1.1.5
>> version that comes with the AT91RM9200 development kit. And an
>> ancient u-boot 1.1.1 that I got off Atmel's website which
>> surprisingly enough will write to the new flash chip I have
>> installed, even though it thinks there is only 2M installed
>> instead of 8M And I can use it to do setenv, etc and load
>> uboot 1.1.5 into flash and boot linux over the network connection.
>>
>> So far so good. So my hardware works, I just need a version of
>> u-boot that supports the AT49BV642D. Patching the source seems
>> easy enough. However. Problem is that the official distribution
>> of u-boot has no support for the AT91RM9200-EK. Which is sad.
>> Very very sad.
>>
>> I tried compiling u-boot from scratch using the instructions
>> on this page.
>>
>> http://www.linux4sam.org/twiki/bin/view ... _x_sources
>>
>> Namely,
>> wget ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/u-boot/u-boot-1.1.5.tar.bz2
>> tar xvjf u-boot-1.1.5.tar.bz2
>> cd u-boot-1.1.5
>>
>> wget ftp://www.linux4sam.org/pub/uboot/u-boo ... 5.diff.bz2
>> bzcat u-boot-1.1.5_atmel_1.5.diff.bz2 | patch -p1
>>
>> Then
>>
>> I fixed up two lines in the examples make file adding an .o
>> at the end in order to make the 3.81 linker happy.
>>
>> Line 147 :
>>   $(obj)%.srec: $(obj)%.o
>> Line 150
>>   $(obj)%.bin: $(obj)%.o
>>
>> Then
>>
>> make distclean
>> make at91sam9263ek_config
>> make CROSS_COMPILE=<path_to_cross-compiler/cross-compiler-prefix->
> why do you try to use the at91sam9263ek board on the AT91RM9200EK?
>
> and the AT91RM9200EK is not so far from the AT91SAM9200DK which is
> mainline
>
> and they are not so much different execept some PIO settings
>
> IIRC Ulf send some patch 2 years ago
>
> Maybe he can resend a rebased version?

Anyone building a linux kernel using buildroot
(http://buildroot.uclibc.org/).
will get my patches vs U-Boot 1.2.0.

Since the U-Boot community insists that the tested working flash driver
cannot be merged in the std U-boot, and has to be replaced by
the CFI driver which does not work on the EK (I am told)
I have no plans to resubmit at this time.

> Best Regards,
> J.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson                ulf at atmel.com
Atmel Nordic AB
Mail:  Box 2033, 174 02 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Visit:  Kavallerivägen 24, 174 58 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Phone +46 (8) 441 54 22     Fax +46 (8) 441 54 29
GSM    +46 (706) 22 44 57