[U-Boot] U-boot support for Non Console board

rajeev s rajeev2174 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 06:17:48 CET 2008

hi Ira Snyder,
Thanks for the respone. The solution mentioned looks feasible..

Could you please send the U-boot patch in the current shape .. Shall test the same patch with modifications as required to support our board.

Thanks again .
Rajeev S

Ira Snyder <iws at ovro.caltech.edu> wrote: On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 01:25:14PM +0100, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
> On 08:06 Fri 31 Oct     , Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> > Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > > Dear rajeev s,

[snip]

> > I have not googled, I'm sure many people have done this before.  Maybe
> > you will get lucky and someone will have published source under a GPL
> > (compatible) license.
> IIRC I've seen this in the Prism54 driver

I'm currently working on a custom board based on MPC8349EMDS. It works
in PCI agent mode.

I have written a Linux driver that implements both ethernet and a uart
over the PCI bus. I don't think it would be hard to port to your board.
Search the linuxppc-dev or LKML archives for the patch. The subject is
"net: add PCINet driver".

I'm currently trying to get the driver merged into Linux. I have also
written U-Boot drivers that offer the same functionality. I can "see"
the U-Boot prompt over PCI, and tftp + nfs boot over PCI. It is very
convenient.

I was going to post up the U-Boot drivers after I get the Linux driver
merged, just in case there are changes. I've inlined the patches below.
The first adds ethernet, the second adds a serial port.

Please note that they are MPC8349EMDS specific right now, but they might
provide inspiration. Showing your support of the PCINet driver on LKML
might help get it reviewed. Noone has taken much interest.

Ira