[U-Boot] [ Ramdisk crc error ]

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Fri Nov 14 14:46:30 CET 2008

sean wrote:
> I've upgrade the capacity of Ram size from 256M to 512M on my custom board
> based on SEQUOIA.
>
> (U-boot Version:2008.10-rc2)
>
> I built a ramdisk image which is 72MB.( Also, I modified rd_size to 73728)
>
> When I boot up my board, I've got a message like below.
>
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> crc error
> EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
>
> Why does "crc error" occur??

Your RAMdisk image is corrupt, almost undoubtedly in RAM, not the flash
storage version.

> If I use ramdisk image which is 4MB, "crc error" is not appeared.
>
> And also if I use u-boot for 256MB on 512MB board, "crc error" is not
> appeared.

This is indicating your RAM and/or RAM memory map is messed up.  I'm
guessing that, if you use the memory write command to write to the 256K
location (0x10000000), you will find that the same value has "magically"
appeared at location 0... IOW, your RAM memory map has two copies of
half of your memory (address aliasing).

If you do a RAM test, it should detect this problem.

> Here are my U-boot source which I modified to upgrade memory.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Sequoia family, so I cannot tell you
how to fix this.

Good luck and happy reading,
gvb